The TSS visa will contain two (2) visa streams with the following summarized criteria:
Option 1 - Short-Term visa stream (up to 2-years in duration)
- Renewal: Capacity for visa renewal onshore once only
- For non-regional Australia, the occupation must be on the STSOL (Schedule 2).
- For regional Australia, the STSOL will apply, with additional occupations available to support regional employers
- English language requirements: A requirement of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (or equivalent test) score of 5, with a minimum of 4.5 in each test component.
- Genuine entry: A genuine temporary entrant requirement
Option 2 - Medium-Term visa stream (up to 4-years in duration).
- Renewal: Capacity for visa renewal onshore and a permanent residence pathway after three years.
- Occupation lists:
- For non-regional Australia - the occupation must be on the MLTSSL (Schedule 1). -
- For regional Australia - the MLTSSL will apply, with additional occupations available to support regional employers
English language requirements: a requirement of a minimum of IELTS 5 (or equivalent test) in each test component.
Both visa streams will have new key requirements, which generally include:
- New and more targeted occupation lists which better align with skill needs in the Australian labour market
- at least two years’ work experience in their skilled occupation required by applicants
- a minimum market salary rate
- mandatory labour market testing, unless an international obligation applies
- a non-discriminatory workforce test to ensure employers are not actively discriminating against Australian workers
- strengthened requirement for employers to contribute to training Australian workers
- DIBP will collect Tax File Numbers and data, which will be matched with the Australian Tax Office’s records, and
- mandatory penal clearance certificates to be provided.