Work Visa

There is a broad range of visa options for Professopnals and other Skilled Migrants who are willing to work in
Whether you are looking for temporary or permanent employment (including Sponsorship) in Australia this is
your section.

Skilled Independent Visa (189)

This visa is for skilled workers who are currently in or outside Australia, who are not sponsored by an employer or family members, or by a state or territory government and who satisfy the point test. You have to be invited for this visa, therefore you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and must obtain skills assessment in your nominated occupation.

Am I eligible for this visa? Please click to check Start Visa Check

How it works

Are you eligible for this visa?

You might be able to get this visa if:

  • are under the age of 50 when you apply for this visa;
  • have a nominated occupation which is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL);
  • can obtain a suitable skills assessment in your nominated occupation;
  • have at least competent English language skills;
  • are able to achieve at least 60 points (to meet the standard conditions);
  • meet health and character requirements.

You can include the following people in your visa application:

  • Your spouse or de facto partner;
  • You or your partner’s dependent children;
  • Other dependent relatives.

Point test

Applicants need to achieve 60 points in order to qualify for this visa.

Points are awarded in the following categories:

  • Age
  • English Language Skills
  • Australian and Overseas work experience
  • Australian study (at least 2 academic years)
  • Qualifications
  • Community Language
  • Regional Australian Study
  • Partner skills
  • Professional Year in Australia

Open Migration is happy to advise you about your eligibility and to provide you with assistance in obtaining a189 visa. 
For more information about this visa and how you can start the application process contact us by phone or email to arrange a free consultation.


For more information about your visa options:

Quick Enquiry
Free Visa Check
Are you eligible to the visa you are planning to apply for? Try our free instant visa check to find out your result
Ask the Agent
You might have a lot of questions about migration law, process, job-searching, living costs, education, etc. You will find most answers here. If you don`t you can ask your own question from our agents.
How long does it take to get a visa to Australia?

The processing time varies depending on the type of visa you apply for, for instance student visa applications are usually finalised within 1-3 months, partner visas within 12-15 months, permanent employer sponsored visas within 6-8 months from the date of lodgment. Have a look at the service standards of the Department for more information HERE

Migration to Australia / Visa to Australia / 457 visa / Skilled visa / RSMS visa / State sponsorship / Student visa - Open Migration

array_key_exists(): The first argument should be either a string or an integer
/home/openmigr/public_html/lib/multilang.php ( 231 )